Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Another Poem from a Playwright

I wanted to share a taste more of the poetry of Karol Wojtyla (aka Pope John Paul II).

Here again, I am taking my sample from Selected Poems, translated by Jerzy Peterkiewicz.

In “Profiles of a Cyrenean,” the poet explores Simon, the man forced to carry Jesus’ cross – but explores as though he were a series of other people – the blind, a girl disappointed in love, children, a factory worker, and on. I love this series of poems.

Here’s one:

“Actor”

So many grew round me, through me,
from my self, as it were.
I became a channel, unleashing a force
called a man.
Did not the others crowding in, distort
the man that I am?
Being each of them, always imperfect,
myself to myself too near,
he who survives in me, can he ever
look at himself without fear?


Just his thoughts,

Sean

No comments: