Tuesday, January 15, 2008

School's Out for Winter

Last night was my last class at Biola.

A bittersweet night, as it may be the last university teaching gig I do for a while – since my new job (at a studio) isn’t as flexible as my last one (laying about the house in my pajamas and playing with my cats – a tough job, but someone had to do it).

It was a semester crammed into a week, teaching from 10 am to 9:45 pm.

The topic: Literature and Film. In other words, books and the movies they were made into.

I concentrated this year on short stories, running with the theme, “What Price Justice.”

Ernest Hemmingway’s “The Killers,” made into a noir film of the same title. (Didn’t make the students watch the 1960’s version with Ronald Reagan in his last role, playing a bad guy.)

Woolrich’s “It Had to Be Murder,” which became REAR WINDOW by Hitchcock. Grace Kelly at her best.

“In a Grove,” the basis for Kurosawa’s RASHOMON. At least that’s the way I remember it.

And finishing with Dick’s “Minority Report,” which became the Spielberg movie of the same name.

I capped my week with a visit by writer/director Cory Edwards, who talked about his upcoming project, ANDREW HENRY’S MEADOW. Based on a children’s book in which no one is murdered.

Ah well, no theme is perfect.

Just my thoughts,

Sean

No comments: