Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Auditions Part 2

Yesterday I made the argument that auditions for a church drama group are pro-Christian because our offerings are to be from our best – and the arts are no exception.

Today, I am going to go one step further: We are required to give G-d our best ESPECIALLY in the arts.

If you don’t believe me, ask Moses.

Take a gander at Exodus 3:1-3. To set it up, Moses is at the mountain top getting his marching orders from G-d himself. This is where the Ten Commandments are given out and explained.

But also this is where G-d talks about art – specifically the art he wants to go with the Ark of the Covenant – the kind of art he wants in worship.

Please note that G-d talks more about art on the mountaintop than he does about the law. Odd considering that the Church talks more about the law than about art… but that is a blog for another day.

So here, the Lord is assigning the artists he would like to see working in his church (in other words, G-d held auditions, and these are the ones that are being selected).

Bezalel is chosen to be the lead artisan; and there should be no doubt as to why, since he has been “filled with the Spirit of G-d, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts…”

Artistic excellence, spiritual depth.

Note that the Lord doesn’t say, “And I haven’t appointed anyone for this task, because I am sure that there are a lot of people, Me bless them, who’s hearts are in the right place even if they don’t have my Spirit, or skill, or ability, or knowledge. Because, Me darn it, worship of Me is all about not hurting feelings, and letting people other than me be in the spotlight, and self-affirmation, and no standards, and …”

Glad I didn’t have to carry that tablet down a mountain.

And lest we think that it was just the lead guy that required a touch of talent, G-d makes it clear that all the workers have skill (verse 6).

We are to worship with our best, plain and simple.

“Sing to him a new song, play skillfully, and shout for joy.” (Psalm 33:3)

Another accusation that comes from being picky is that the Church is being exclusive. We leave people behind, such as the young lady who stopped attending because she was asked to audition.

After all, shouldn’t everyone be allowed to serve?

Yes, absolutely. Moreover, everyone is called to serve!

However…

To be continued.

Just my thoughts,

Sean

6 comments:

Thany said...

I am hanging on every word in facination, enlightenment and agreement.

May I send my readers your direction so they may read these thoughts??

Gaffney said...

Thanks. And sure, please share.

Although I rant better when I think no one is listening...

Anonymous said...

Rant on, Sean. I love it.

I can't wait to see how you deal with the issue of monetary compensation for artists in ministry. :-)

Curtis said...

Loving this. About time someone talks about this. We've had similar issues on our worship team (and I don't even feel requirements are that stringent, they let me in). But somehow the idea that if a person can't carry a tune, they shouldn't be leading the congregation in worship is hard for some people. Luckily our band director doesn't go in for that rot.

Anonymous said...

greetings. good thoughts. i tend to think church music is similar in some locations. i wonder how you promote excellence without offending though. or is that even important?

Ryan Smith said...

Great thoughts!

Jesus also held auditions. Check out Matthew 19:16-30 (about the young rich man having to give up all his possessions) or the calling of any of the disciples.

Keep up the great work. I found your site from a link in Jeffrey Overstreet posted, and I think I'll have to keep checking in!