Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Now Don't Think I'm a Nut...

I got me a “World Almanac Daily Calendar.” Not quite the Farmer’s Almanac, but folksy enough for me to think I can get away with starting my sentence with “I got me a …”

What that means for you is that sometimes the daily tidbits are going to translate into rambling, train-of-thought blogs. Like todays.

This day in 1924, Howard Carter discovered the sarcophagus of King Tut. And we all know what led to.

That’s right, it led directly to Steve Martin receiving the 2005 Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize for American Humor. Cath and I watched the encore of the ceremony this past New Year’s Eve (apparently Neil Simon wasn’t funny enough for the ’06 event to be rebroadcast).

Oddly enough, Mr. Martin did not thank Howard Carter. Ingrate.

The prize always puts me in mind of Earl Palmer. Earl did an eye-opening series of sermons (now available as a book!) on The Humor of Jesus. Earl would often remark that Mark Twain was his favorite humorist – or at least makes the top twelve funniest writers pastor Palmer has read.

So in light of being light-hearted, here are some of my favorite quotes pertaining to humor:

“Humor is like a frog; if you dissect it, it dies.”

-Mark Twain

“Tragedy is when I cut my finger, comedy is when you fall into a hole and die.”

-Mel Brooks

“Comedy is tragedy plus time.”

-Howard Stein

“Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter the beginning of prayer.”

-Reinhold Niebuhr, Discerning the Signs of the Times

And from Earl Palmer’s book (contrasting destructive humor to healthy humor):

“But there is good laughter and it has an altogether different result. The laughter that nourishes has the opposite result because at its motivational center the humorist has recognized a connectedness toward those who surround his or her story so that the goal is to connect us and not to disengage us from that human linkage. Nourishing humor intends to build up and not to tear apart the sense of well-being of the object of the humorous story.”

Let’s go out there and have a good laugh.

Just my thoughts,

Sean

No comments: