Friday, January 19, 2007

Call Waiting

A blurb in a recent Reader’s Digest pointed out that I live in the most polite part of the country – only 35% of us West Coasters would answer and converse on our cell phone during a movie at a theater.

I’m dubious about the positive spin here – we are the most polite? Is it really worth bragging rights that every third seat at our local cinema holds a customer ready and willing to ruin the entertainment experience of their neighbors?

I suppose I am old-fashioned in carrying the notion that we should base our ethical development on seeking to be better people – as opposed to seeking out those that are worse behaved and resting in the achievement of moral superiority.

Of course I don’t have time to think about that now: the movie is about to start and my cell phone is ringing.

Just my thoughts,

Sean

No comments: