Thursday, November 30, 2006

Beyond the City Gates

My Great Books Club spent the last two months on John Steinbeck’s East of Eden. I have to say, despite the daunting size of the book (I got extra air miles on all my recent trips, because the hefty tome counted as a travel companion) I thoroughly enjoyed the read.

I missed last months meeting due to my Florida trip; a blessing, as I didn’t have to rush my read. The book is that good.

I will share Steinbeck’s words on the church and how the Hebrew word for “thou mayest” might just be the most important word in human language at some point in the future.

For this post, I wanted to share a section that struck deep inside me, as it should for anyone considering entering the worlds of theatre, film or television.

This is Lee, quoting his father:

“There’s more beauty in the truth, even if it is dreadful beauty. The storytellers at the city gate twist life so that it looks sweet to the lazy and the stupid and the weak, and this only strengthens their infirmities and teaches nothing, cures nothing, nor does it let the heart soar.”

Just my thoughts,

Sean

No comments: