Friday, June 02, 2006

More Importance and Foreign News

Coming to you from the hinterlands -- you don't know how painful it is to blog in dial-up world. Golly, I am spoiled.

The Importance of Blind Dating has been selected for exhibition in the Flatland Film Festival, so now Texas can be exposed to my writing.

Last night, Catherine and I (along with LA friends Vicki and Cory and Seattle friends Candace, Sam, Mark and Karen) went to see The Foreigner at Taproot Theatre. The show absolutely rocked! Congrats to director Karen Lund, and special kudos to the great performances by Scott Nolte and the rest of the cast.

If in Seattle, go see it.

I was a tad worried -- I worked on the show at Taproot ten years ago (also directed by Karen), and carried very fond memories and high expectations. But things change in ten years -- and I recently saw a rather dreadful production of The Nerd, a play by the same author. I was starting to wonder if maybe my memory was faulty; and if maybe I would look at the revival with the eyes that I looked at The Nerd, cringing at some of the writing (although the cringe worthy Nerd probably had more to blame on the bland, disconnected directing).

Not to worry; whatever faults the script has in The Foriegner are whitewashed by brilliant comic timing, depth of characters (in a play that pretends to have no depth), and tight direction.

Rock on, Taproot! And thank you for keeping the memories alive...

Just my thoughts,

Sean

No comments: