Monday, June 12, 2006

Chick Lit and Comic Books

Sometimes the world goes a little strange. But there is always a balance.

For instance, my friend Kitty not only has read comic books, but has fallen in love with them. Go figure.

So how is the cosmos balanced out? Well, for starters, I read a chick-lit book.

Can’t say that I’ve fallen in love with the genre, but I did thoroughly enjoy this one. My friend Laura sent me an advanced copy of her book, Reconstructing Natalie. Laura is a cancer survivor, and wrote a fiction book about a woman going through the discovery and recovery process of breast cancer.

A funny, witty and moving book about cancer. This isn’t your traditional weepy, woe-is-me kind of book. It is painfully honest, and certainly has weepy moments (advice: don’t finish this book on a plane where your manhood might be in question for snotting up the sleeve of the woman sitting next to you). But it is more about life and humor.

I guess if Steve Martin had written C.S. Lewis’ A Grief Observed, we’d have the style of Laura’s Reconstructing Natalie.

I recommend this to any woman that is dealing with (or fearful of) cancer; and for any guy that wants to understand the women in his life. If you find yourself reading one chick-lit book this year, this is the book for you.

Just my thoughts,

Sean

No comments: