Friday, October 21, 2011

Head Music


Our lives do have private soundtracks – you know, the music that invades your head at random times.

Float in any body of water – pool, ocean, bathtub – long enough, and the mind will start in with a slow, “da..duhm.  Da…..duhm. Da duh da duh da duh da duh!!”

If you are of a certain age, you can’t walk anywhere carrying a paint can without starting to strut; the Bee Gees voices taking over your body rhythm.

(I’ve never even seen that movie, and my mind goes there.)

At least those connections make sense. But every now and then a disconnected connector gets thrust into my brain.

Like every time the rock musical that my studio is involved with is mentioned.

The show, a tribute to Journey, Whitesnake, Styx and the like, is called, “Rock of Ages.”

That title is meant to evoke Def Leppard.

But for me, the full title is anything but. So around the office you might here me say, “Hey, we’ve got a new draft of ‘Rock of Ages, Cleft for Me, Let Me Hide Myself in Thee’ in. I printed a copy for the project shelf.”

The latest “got that in my head even though it doesn’t really fit” comes courtesy of Reader’s Digest.

They did an article on “Cold & Flu Fighters.” I glanced at it, didn’t see the ampersand, and my brain realized it scanned with “Kung Fu Fighters.”

So now every time I see an ad for Nyquil, my brain sings,

“Everybody is Cold Flu Fighting! (da da dink dink dink dink dink dink dee) Fast as lightning!”

Thanks, RD. I need that like I need another song stuck in my head.

Just my thoughts,

Sean

No comments: