Friday, May 14, 2010

Measure of Good Writing

Here's the wrap-up of a LA Times review of two television shows -- I'm re-posting here since it seems to be a good goal for all writers.

"Both shows are smart without being snarky, realistic about the limitations of the human soul without being jaded, carefully plotted without being overly clever.  Sex is present but not exploited, marriage is respected but not revered and love, though in the end binding, is never reduced to syrup."

Extra points if you can guess what shows she is talking about...  (I just started watching one, have not seen the other.)

Thanks to Chris for pointing me toward the review.

Just my thoughts,

Sean

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen one of them (the one with the lady who used to be on ER), but the other one... I love it! It took me a while to give it a chance (watched the pilot, didn't think it was funny), but now I'm totally hooked. It's a great article - thanks for sharing!

Linds said...

Links for those of us too dense to figure it out?

Kathy Gaffney said...

The good wife?
Just a wild guess......
takes one to know one?