Wednesday, September 10, 2008

"The Bravest"

"So now I go to funerals for men I never knew;
The pipers play "Amazing Grace", as the coffins come in view.

"They must have seen it coming as they turned to face the fire.
They sent us down to safety, then they kept on climbing higher.

"Now every time I try to sleep, I'm haunted by the sound
Of firemen pounding up the stairs, while we were running down.
Of firemen pounding up the stairs, while we were running down."

-from "The Bravest" by Tom Paxton

Garrison Keillor singing "The Bravest" here.

Tom Paxton singing here.

Just heavy on my thoughts,

Sean

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

Seems a million years since that terrible day. And too many more terrible ones since, because of it.

And yet through the black clouds of Sept 11, stories of selfless heroism so pure they shine like a supernova.

Today is a reminder to exclaim: "Lord, make me a channel of your peace."

God Bless America, that she may bless others.