Thursday, March 16, 2006

Foolish Convention...


My book club read DEATH COMES FOR THE ARCHBISHOP by Willa Cather this month. In the back of my copy, there was a letter from Ms. Cather describing how she came to write this particular book, as well as providing insight into her process.

One section that struck me in particular, as Ms. Cather is describing the lovely Catholic churches built the region (New Mexico and surrounding areas), and her wish that there was a more thorough history of their creation:

"...but soon I felt that no record of them could be as real as they are themselves. They are their own story, and it is foolish convention that we must have everything interpreted for us in written language. There are other ways of telling what one feels, and the people who built and decorated those many, many little churches found their way and left their message."

Just her thoughts,

Sean

PS Favorite quote from the book: The old man smiled. "I shall not die of a cold, my son. I shall die of having lived."

No comments: